Song:The Lord Gave me a Temple (Children's Songbook #153) (Download the song here or see and hear the music here)
Scripture: D&C 89:1-3 (Preface of the Word of Wisdom chapter)
- On one piece of paper, write "Commandments" and on another, write. "Promises." Read and discuss D&C 89 to determine what the WoW entails and the promises that we're given if we follow it. List the commandments and promises on the correct pages.
- Find pictures of food and beverages that we should eat (fruit, veggies, juice, etc) and that we shouldn't eat (coffee, beer, etc) and have your children determine whether they're good or bad for us. Some foods may be okay for us to eat (ice cream, candy, cake) but we need to use the principle of moderation. Explain to them how we can have those items (dessert at night, cake for our birthday) but we shouldn't eat them all the time and that we should make sure we're getting the nutrition our body needs. As you look at some of the bad items, discuss some of the consequences that might come from eating or drinking those items. For instance, drinking alcohol could cause Cirrosis of your liver; caffeine can make you jittery and then sluggish if you don't have it; smoking can cause lung cancer, yellow teeth, and a yucky, hacking cough.
- Discuss the new food guide put out by the USDA - MyPlate. You could discuss why you cook the meals you do - why you include the various food groups. You could also discuss more in depth about nutrition and meal planning. If your children are old enough, you might plan some meals together that include all of the food groups.
- Read this story from The Friend about how Joseph Smith received the revelation about the Word of Wisdom. (The Friend, June 1992, pg. 44). Also at that link is a coloring page/hidden objects page that your children could use.
- For older children, read through D&C 89 and follow this Hidden Message Worksheet.
- No matter which activity you choose, be sure to discuss WHY the Word of Wisdom is important. The Word of Wisdom was given to us so that we can be healthy, not as something to make us feel trapped. Heavenly Father wants us to be happy and healthy so that we can have more energy and feel good. You might also talk about how obeying the Word of Wisdom shows respect for our body and to Heavenly Father. It's another way to keep ourself clean and be of good mind to recieve inspiration from the Holy Ghost.
- As a snack after FHE, have an assortment of fruits and dips. A mixture of yogurt and cream cheese makes for a really yummy fruit dip. You could also do apples and peanut butter, or use cool whip as a dip for any fruit.