Sorry it's been so quiet around here this week. I've been busy finishing up Andyroo's Halloween Costume! Yay! Hopefully I'll have the train part of Andyroo's costume finished and posted tomorrow.
As part of Andyroo's Train Engineer costume, he needed a hat! I've never seen them in a store anywhere, so I just decided to make one. I searched around online and found an awesome Train Engineer Cap Pattern over at Aesthetic Nest.. Here's what I came up with!
I made it with the same blue material I used for his Train Engineer Costume. I also purchased some lining as a remnant and some heavy weight interfacing (with a coupon, of course).
I did a couple things different than she did in her pattern. Because Andyroo's head is so big (seriously - that's the large pattern and it has maybe an extra 1/2" of room), I skipped adding the elastic. I also made some stitches at the top of the cap to keep the lining and canvas from separating.
I also didn't add the lining to the brim of the hat and made the interfacing in the brim of the hat 1/2" less all around. I was trying to cut down on the thickness so that I wasn't constantly having to fix my machine. The hat still turned out perfectly!
The pattern and pictures that Aesthetic Nest has posted were such a great help. I was able to whip this up in just a few hours. But it would have taken less time if my machine wasn't always getting jammed (have I mentioned lately how much I need a new machine).
Andyroo loves his hat though, which makes every frustrating stitch and all the jammed needles worth it!