I know it's not even October yet and Thanksgiving is still almost 2 months away, but I'm feeling especially festive and in the mood for fall, so I thought I'd post these little guys today.
Last year, right around Thanksgiving, I hosted a Shutterfly Party (through HouseParty.com) and I decided to do something holiday themed and make Turkey cake pops as part of the refreshments.
I'd like to say that they were easy, but not really. They were pretty time consuming. If you've ever made cake pops, you know what I mean.
I used Bakerella's method to make the actual cake ball - crumbled cake a store bought frosting. I then coated them with Almond Bark (it's like the Wilton Candy Melts, but cheaper) and decorated them.
Here's what I used:
-Almond Bark (probably almost 2 packages)
-Indian Candy Corn - like the regular candy corn but it's brown and red instead of orange and yellow. Also, you want the whole candy corns for feathers and then a bunch of the white tips broken off for the beaks.
-Butter cream frosting in light brown, white, red and black
-Decorating bags (4) and tips #12, 1, 2, &3
-Pretzel sticks, halved
1. Cover the cake balls with the Almond Bark
2. As you're coating them, stick in the pretzels for legs and the candy corn for feathers. I actually didn't do this. I coated them and stuck in feathers as I went, but I wish I'd done the pretzels then too. If you look closely you can see where I had to use butter cream to get the legs to stick or where the coating cracked as I stuck in the pretzels.
3. After the coating has hardened, pipe on the turkey "head" using the light brown frosting. I used a #12 tip to make the job quicker. It was just a simple ball shape.
4. Using the white and black frosting, make the eyes. For the whites of the eyes I think I used tip #3. For the black, I used tip #1.
5. Using the white ends of the candy corn, stick them on the head to make a beak.
6. With the red frosting, pipe a little "gobbler" onto the turkey heads using tip #2 or 3.
Sorry - no pics of the process. This was done pre-blog.
Look at those funny little minions!
Thanks to all the fabulous bloggers out there who take the time and effort to host these spectacular parties!! We're linking up here:
Just Something I Whipped Up, Craftastic Monday, Turquoise Lovin', Making the World Cuter Mondays, Making Mondays Marvelous, Creative Me Mondays, Made By You Mondays, Craft-O-Maniac Monday, Made with Love, More the Merrier
Get You Craft On, Tuesday Confessional, Who's Got Glam, Ta-Da Tuesdays, Tip Me Tuesdays, Take a Look Tuesdays, Show Me What You Got, Tuesday Tutorials, Too Cute Tuesdays, Craft & Tell, Tutorials & Tips Tuesday
Whatever Goes Wednesday, Idea Sharing Wednesday, What I Made Wednesday, DIY Under $5, Woot Woot Wednesday, Wow Me Wednesday, Your Whims Wednesday, Lil' Luna Link Party, Hoo's Got Talent, We Can Do it Cheaper, Look What I Made, What I Whipped up Wednesday, Wow Me Wednesday
Strut Your Stuff, DIY Diva Thursdays, Hookin' Up With House of Hepworths, Get Your Brag On
Frugal Friday, Creative-ly U, Feature Yourself Friday, PityParty, Look At Me, Show & Share, Fantabulous Friday, Tickled Pink Fridays, I'm Lovin' It
Lovely Little Linkup, Weekend Wander, Sundae Scoop, Sunday Showcase Party, Think Pink Sundays, Anything Goes, Whatcha Got Weekend, Free For All